|Posted by jameshillgoats on June 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM|
Maybe our first soapmaking procedure going so smoothly was sheer luck, because our second batch was a real trial! This afternoon we mixed up a basic goat milk soap with dried rose petals and essential oil. We did manage to keep the lye mixture from turning very dark by freezing the milk in larger blocks. It turned more a yellowish color this time, and lightened to a light cream color during blending.
But, we had a very difficult time getting the blended mixture to come to trace. A couple of possibilities here: 1) The oil and lye hadn't cooled quite enough before I started blending, 2) It was a bit warm in the house, and the oil and lye mixture wasn't cool enough during blending, or 3) I lost count when I was measuring out the lard, and added an extra cup. Not sure if this batch is going to set very well...will be more able to judge when I check it in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Categories: All things soap