|Posted by jameshillgoats on June 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM|
Yesterday we made our first batch of goat milk soap...oatmeal and honey with chamomile. We stirred up the lye mixture outdoors due to the potential for fumes. The lye mixture initially turned very dark orange-brown as it reacted to the sugars in the honey and milk (even though we had frozen the milk in cubes).
The mixture came to trace very quickly, and the soap was firming up nicely when I checked on it this morning. And, the soap had lightened to a medium cream color as it saponified. We will turn it out of the containers and slice it into bars either tomorrow or Monday morning. I think it's going to turn out great!
Categories: All things soap